Book 1 Post 1
Book 1 – Post 1
Book: American Like Me by America Ferreira
I chose the book “American Like Me” because of several reasons. The first one is the reviews. I didn’t even know what the book was about, but I knew it was a bestseller. This fact convinced me to believe, that if I chose the book for completing the reading assignment in the WRIT340 class, it must be good. Before purchasing the book I did the research of what it was about and who had written it. The topic seemed interesting for me to read, as I feel I could relate to it. I am from Colombia and moved to the US when I started my college journey at USC. To some extent, I have felt I have a complicated relationship with family, culture, and growing up. When I moved to LA I experienced cultural shock in many aspects of my life, because things are simply different, and I am far away from the place I grew up in and the people who I consider part of my home. I felt intrigued to learn more about other people’s experiences and the complex experiences of identity. I also don't want to forget to mention one last and final factor that contributed to my decision. It has been a long time since I’ve seen one of America’s Ferrera movies or TV shows. But about a month ago I watched Barbie and absolutely loved it. When I realized the book was written by her I felt the excitement for what she had to say.
But, if I am being completely honest, I bought the book because it was asked of me. I bought it as homework. But, now that I have started reading it, I am so happy that it happened that way because I am not sure I would be reading this book if it were otherwise. I am not a natural reader even though I have started trying to implement this habit in my day to day. What immediately captured my attention and filled me with excitement was reading the first couple of pages of the introduction. I immediately recognized the author’s voice. It is very clear and unique. Later on, when the chapter ended and I started reading the second one, I noticed the change in the writing. It has been fascinating to be aware of and notice how differently authors write their own stories. I have noticed some are easier for me to read than others, and that is part of the experience. I have loved reading about the personal stories behind people who have had impressive trajectories and whom I admire. I am very motivated, happy, and excited to continue my journey with this book. Every story is unique and different, but at the same time addresses the same issue: the complexities of identity, culture, and relationships.
Comments
Post a Comment