Who You Are
My name is Sofia Duran. I am 22 years old and currently studying at the Roski School of Art and Design at USC. I come from Colombia, a unique country filled with nature, music, colors, vibrant life, and people. My family is made up of my dad, mom, and younger brother. When I imagine my future, I see myself working at a design consulting firm, focusing on branding, graphic design, and marketing. In the near future, I see myself living here, in the US, working in a big company, and learning from the best. During the weekends I see myself doing the things I love, like hiking, running, playing guitar, and spending time with friends. But, in the distant future, I see myself in Colombia, finally settling into a home and hopefully starting a family. I plan to get there by working hard and dreaming big. My plan consists of making conscious decisions in my day to day that are aligned with my long term goals. I want to live my life slowly, with harmony, and confidence in my path. I believe I am like my parents in many aspects. I am disciplined, organized, and resilient like my dad. And I am adventurous, active, and brave like my mom. Nevertheless, I also see many differences with them. I am more sensible, self-reflective, and thoughtful. I am very passionate about personal growth and have been able to prioritize my mental health. I do think that for the majority of my life I have been operating under someone else's expectations rather than my own. Due to my background growing up, the way I was educated, and my family’s beliefs, I have adapted a structure and mindset of what is the “correct” way to live life that is not necessarily mine. But, changing this from one day to another is very difficult. Some of the first steps I have taken to work on this is acknowledging and becoming aware of the aspects of my life in which these invisible structures and expectations are most present. Other than a relative, someone I really admire and who serves as a role model is Karol G, a Colombian singer. She is someone who has been true to her essence and has never changed who she truly is regardless of her fame or success. In the wild, I feel a special connection with chipmunks. Whenever I see one of them I feel connected to nature and happy. I feel related to their agility and their fun chasing one another. On the other hand, in the nature kingdom, I've had a significant encounter with the plant “Frailejon”, a plant adapted to the low temperatures and high humidity of the Colombian paramo landscape. These plants are very special because they take very long to grow and they are essential to the environment.
Sun sign: 15 Degrees Gemini
Moon sign: 15 Degrees Sagittarius
Rising sign: 17 Degrees Capricorn
Hi Sofia,
ReplyDeleteIt is super cool to hear that you are from Colombia. That is a country that I have always wanted to visit for the culture and environment. I went to Argentina two summers ago and some of my favorite people that I met while I was there were from Colombia.
I think its also great that you are dreaming big and working hard to achieve your goals. I am sure that if you continue on that path you will reach the destination that you are pursuing!
Hi Sofia, I am also an international student and I have thought a lot about returning back to my home country (China/Taiwan) or staying in the U.S. to start my career. How did you find an interest in design consulting? Are there many Colombian firms that also focus on graphic design and marketing?
ReplyDeleteHi Sofia! I love how you are determined to live life with peace and confidence, and that you are prioritizing your mental health. Your reason for admiring Karol G shows how much of a humble but resilient person you can be :) I'm also very interested in graphic design/branding, and I think it's very cool how you are trying to pursue your career in the US with your professional interests. Do you have any specific brands/companies you'd like to work for?
ReplyDeleteHi Sofia, design consulting sounds like a really interesting career path and I wish you the best in your pursuit of it! Something you mentioned that really stood out to me was about the structures and mindsets of the “correct” way to live life that is not necessarily your own. I find this point very interesting because in life we tend to conform to the ideas that are pushed by family, friends, the institutions we belong to (school, religions, etc.). It can be very hard to develop independent thought because of these influences, and I admire how you have taken steps to address these invisible structures and expectations.
ReplyDeleteHi Sofia!! Thank you for sharing! So cool that you are also international like me (I am from Taiwan)! I also find it super cool that you study design and design consulting honestly sounds wonderful when it comes to not only strategizing but also exploring your full creativity. I also have been prioritizing my mental health more nowadays as it wasn't really a concept I was as familiar with growing up in Asia! This year will be a great year for all the good things!
ReplyDelete